*WARNING: This blog is intended for a mature audience. Its contents may include adult situations, violence and sensitive issues that some people might find disturbing. Please read at your own discretion.

9 May 2014

All Things Evolve, a.k.a. A Personal Post

Yes, that's true: all things evolve, and this blog is not immune to change. I'm nearing my first year of blogging -I can't believe it's been so long already-, and during this time I've discovered quite a few things about myself and the things that interest me. But the most shocking (and outright scary) discovery I've made is that I'm probably a writer, after all. I don't want to be afraid of that word any longer, and I don't want to make a big deal of it either. For me, it just means something as simple as this: I want to improve my writing in every way I possibly can, which brings me to these things:

  • I want to read more from -and about- the period I'm depicting.
  • I want to write more.
  • I want to stray just a little bit from having a Sims 3-centered blog.

Perhaps it would be wiser to open up a freshly new blog, but if I'm to be totally honest, I don't feel like it, and anyway, every change I'm aiming at has very much to do with A Pair of Brown Eyes and some other stories I might write in the future, so I won't be writing about totally unrelated things.

Now, for the changes in themselves... It's actually just THE one change: I'm going to post more often, but not all my posts will be Sims-related. My story will continue to be updated as usual (one new chapter every month), but from now on, you'll find in between some other posts dealing with a variety of topics, ranging from book reviews to a series of tutorials on pic taking and editing I'm working on...

I'm a little terrified by it, that's the truth, but I feel it's what I needed to do. I can just hope you'll understand my decision and continue to enjoy reading this blog, which has become as yours as it is mine. All suggestions, advice, questions are welcome and appreciated, so feel free to make them at any point :-D.

Additionally, in case you want to reach me, I usually hang out at Google+, now I also have a Twitter handle, or you can just email me: moonlightandsims{at}hotmail{dot}com.

PS: I think I'll have next chapter ready by the end of next week, so stay tuned! And as usual, THANKS FOR READING!


21 comments:

  1. Awesome...I think we all evolve in some form once these stories get started. I know I did! :D I think writing the sim stories for some of us is a launching pad to other things. Wanting to improve on a craft you didn't really know you possessed before. I sent you a friend request on Goodreads. It's under my pen name--Meka James (added that to the message). I don't tweet and I have a google plus but never use it, not even sure what it's purpose is. LOL.

    Not gonna lie, I was hoping one of the changes would be a twice a month update :D... Anyway look forward to seeing the changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, do you want a brutally honest answer? You're going to get it, anyway, LOL. Deep down within me I've known all along I would eventually get to the point I am right now, because it's never been about writing sims stories for me: it's been about combining words and pics in my writing as a means of exploring a new... "genre", if you will. It is the "conversation" between text and images that I like, and my writing style (in case I have one) would be very different if this was a text-only story.

      And I'm sorry to say it, but two chapters a month is not an option for me. Do you know why I've come to the conclusion I am a writer? It's not because I enjoy writing (which I do), and it's not because I think I'm good (which I don't). It is because, even if writing APoBE has made me feel as stressed out and depressed as I hadn't known in a long time (if ever), NOT WRITING has proved to be actually MUCH WORSE. Which means one chapter a month is strenuous enough for me.

      Anyway, thank you so much for understanding, your words have been of much help :-D.

      PS: I already befriended you on Goodreads.

      Delete
    2. it's not because I think I'm good (which I don't)---what is this nonsense about not thinking you're good??? This is one of my favorite stories. The characters you've created, the way you spin the tale, it's amazing.

      I look forward to reading whatever short stories of full stories that you create in addition to Pair of Brown Eyes.

      Delete
    3. Nah... thanks for the encouragement :-D, but I know there is still much room for improvement... Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the result, and I've learnt a lot in the process: it's been great for practising many things I only knew theoretically before.

      Delete
    4. "Room for improvement," keep in mind, does NOT mean you aren't good! Everyone has room for improvement in everything they do. You're very humble and that's an admirable quality, but you clearly have more natural talent than you realize.

      Delete
    5. Awww, thank you very much :-D. I don't think I'm so much humble, though, as I am just self-conscious.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on nearing one year! Around the same time I've been writing for a year. Actually, reading your post also made me think about my evolution as well. Maybe it will ring a bell with you too? I realized that I can actually stay committed to a project over a long period of time. Sometimes I start something but don't get around to maintaining it, so I learned that I really can stick to something if I enjoy it.

    I think it's great that you've expanded your writing interests beyond the story...I think sometimes people start with one idea, and as they pursue the idea, a bunch of new ideas pop up. Maybe it will lead to other things that interest you and lead you on a path you hadn't considered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hmm, what you said does ring a bell... somehow. I don't think it's a problem for me, though, to stay commited to a project over a long period of time as long as --this is my fear right now, and the reason behind my decision to try out some new things-- I don't "lose that spark" which brought me to begin a given project in the first place.

      You speak very wisely :-D. Thank you so much for sharing your experience on the subject, it's been of great help.

      Delete
  3. Sounds great! I need to catch up on your story but I love your writing! Whether it is sims related or not I'll be sure to keep up with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much, it's very comforting to know these things. You're very nice :-D.

      Delete
  4. Todo lo que sea evolucionar me parece estupendo.
    Un beso

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias :-D, la verdad es que lo necesitaba, sobre todo para evitar ese temido burnout que, ya ves, también afecta a los blogs (bueno, a quienes los escriben, jeje).

      Delete
  5. Evolution can be a good thing :) I look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evolution is usually a good thing, I think so too. Thanks so much for understanding :-D.

      Delete
  6. Me parece genial, mucho ánimo y suerte para esta nueva etapa :)
    Un beso

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias, a ver qué sale, jeje :-)

      Delete
  7. Different topics will enrich the blog. And if you post more often, it also will be okay. I will pay attention to your posts.
    Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uy, ¿ahora me vas a hablar en inglés? ;-) Okay, suit yourself, I like it :-D. Thanks a lot.

      Delete
    2. Es que si veo escribís en inglés, contesto en inglés y veo que no te importa. jajaj
      Besos.

      Delete
  8. I'm so happy for you that you've discovered something that helps fulfill you! I know you don't realize it, but you do have talent with the written word, and it's wonderful that it's bringing you enough joy to pursue the craft. IMHO, doing what you love is not always easy, but if you are getting enough pleasure out of it to be worth the struggles, you should keep at it.

    Also, I understand your reluctance to identify with the label "writer." I spent several years afraid to embrace it myself, but what I came to realize is that there is no shame in claiming your craft/passion/whatever you want to call it as a piece of your identity. So congrats, and good luck on your lexical pursuits! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing, much as I've come to love it, is anything but easy. But yes, I'd say it gives me enough pleasure to keep going, struggles and all ;-).

      And about being a writer..., I see it now that it has always been a part of who I am, even though I don't make money out of it, even though I have only scarcely committed my thoughts to paper... I guess I've been a writer (or a story-teller, rather) ever since I learnt how to read, and it was about time I acknowledged it.

      Thank you so much for your words, you have no idea how much they've meant for me :-D. I'll try to make the most of my "lexical pursuits".

      Delete